Valletta, Malta’s capital city, was built in the 16th century by the Grand Master of the Order of Malta, Jean Parisot de Valette. The Order of Malta was a lay religious Catholic order that without doubt influenced the way Valletta was built. This influence resulted in the building of several churches for Catholic worshippers. Over the years more churches were built, a few also for different religious denominations. So, let’s get to the question, how many churches in Valletta?
To be exact, Valletta boasts 25 churches out of which 23 are Catholic whilst two are Protestant.
From the 23 Catholic churches located in Valletta one finds a Co-Cathedral and three Parish churches.
The co-cathedral is named St. John’s Co-Cathedral. It is located at St. John’s Square. St. John’s Co-Cathedral was built between 1572 and 1577 by the Order of St. John. It was designed by the well known Maltese architect, Girolamo Cassar. The interior of the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, it still is today, back in the 17th century by Mattia Preti and other designers. St. John’s Co-Cathedral is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
The three Parish churches of Valletta are:
- Church of St. Augustine that is found in Old Bakery Street. This church was built in 1571 and rebuilt in 1765. It is one of the three parish churches in Valletta and it is dedicated to St. Augustine. The church is maintained by Augustinian priests who live in a convent that is connected to the church.
- Collegiate Church of St. Paul’s Shipwreck is the second Parish church of Valletta. It is located in St. Paul’s street. It is one of the oldest churches built in Valletta and it is dedicated to St. Paul, the apostle that brought Christian Catholic faith to Malta. The church started being built in the 1570’s and was completed in 1582. It was designed by Girolamo Cassar.
- Church of Our Lady of Fair Heavens and St. Dominic is the third and last Parish church of Valletta. It is located in St. Dominic street, Valletta. The church was founded in 1571 and consecrated in 1815. It has been built in Baroque style and boasts 9 domes and 2 spires. The Our Lady of Fair Heavens and St. Dominic church is administered by the Dominican Order that live in a convent that is connected to the back of the church.
The other Catholic churches based in Valletta are:
- St. Francis of Assisi, found in Republic Street, Valletta. This church was built between 1589 and 1607. Due to severe structural defects the church was rebuilt in 1681. This church is dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi. St. Francis of Assisi church is administered by the Order of Friars Minor Conventual that live in a convent that s connected to the same church.
- Sanctuary Basilica of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Old Theatre Street was built around 1570. This church is dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Carmelite friars administer this church. They live in a convent that is connected to the church.
- Church of Christ Redeemer church stands on St. Christopher Street in Valletta. The church was founded in 1692.
- Church of the Jesuits was built by the Jesuits order between 1593 and 1609. Here is a well produced video of the Church of the Jesuits that was produced by TVM Malta.
- Church of St. Mary of Jesus
- Church of Our Lady of Pilar
- Church and Monastery of St. Catherine
- Church of St. Mary Magdalene
- Church and Chapel of St. Anne
- Chapel of Sacra Infermeria at the Mediterranean Conference Centre
- Church of St. Nicholas
- St. Roque’s Church
- Church and Monastery of St. Ursula
- Church of Our Lady of Damascus
- Church of St. James
- Church of St. Barbara
- Church of St. Catherine of Italy
- Church of Our Lady of Victory
- Church of our Lady of Liesse
- Church of the Flight into Egypt
- Church of St. Lucy
Lastly but not least, the two Protestant churches found in Valletta are St. Paul’s Anglican Cathedral and St Andrew’s Scots Church. St. Paul’s Anglican Cathedral was founded in 1839 and dedicated to St. Paul in 1844. It was built in a neo-classical style. St Andrew’s Scots Church was founded 1824 and completed in 1857. The architectural style of the church is neo-gothic.